Fire at historic church caused by electrical problems

0
11

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (AP) – The fire that damaged a historic coastal South Carolina church started in electrical wiring on the third floor.

St. Andrews Church in Mount Pleasant posted on Facebook that its insurer agreed with investigators that the April 22 fire was an accident.

The blaze heavily damaged a ministry building constructed in 1996, but firefighters prevented it was spreading to the historic chapel built in 1857.

The fire happened early on a Sunday morning and many members arrived to see the aftermath.

St. Andrews formerly was associated with the Episcopal Church but is one of those involved with a split with the national denomination over scriptural interpretations and administrative controls.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

LEAVE A REPLY