1 person, 2 dogs rescued from motel fire in Myrtle Beach


MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Firefighters are on the scene of a motel fire at 15th Avenue South in Myrtle Beach.

Myrtle Beach Fire officials say a room caught on fire at the Summer Sands Motel on South Ocean Boulevard near 15th Avenue South.

Firefighters arrived at 4:20 a.m. and upon arrival found smoke coming from the second and third floor of the hotel, according to a news release from the department. MBFD crews extinguished the fire within 20 minutes and rescued one person and two dogs. Everyone else in the building was evacuated.

One person was taken to a nearby hospital in stable condition.

A man at the scene said he helped firefighters rescue a person from the motel.

“I got him to the window, and when the fire departments got up here, he was still standing at the window where I got him. They got EMS up there and shot him onto a stretcher and got him straight to Grand Strand [Medical Center], and then they came down with the dogs,” the man said. “I climbed up in there, I inhaled smoke, burnt my hand, cut my finger, busted my knuckle, but I’m not worried about all that.”

Crews were still on scene Wednesday morning for smoke and water removal.

SLIDESHOW: Mobile users, tap here to view a slideshow of photos from the scene.

Copyright 2017 WMBF News. All rights reserved.